Troy Township was organized from Marlborough and Delaware Townships on December 24, 1816 with 16 landowners. The population grew to 60 families by 1850.

 

Troy Township’s population trend

1960 1970 1980 1990 2000 2009
765 989 1,414 1,652 2,665 2,761

Troy Township is mainly a single family residential rural area.  With the northern expansion of Delaware City, the southern portion of the Township may encounter suburban growth pressures in the future.  The Olentangy River and Delaware Lake are two significant features in the township recommended for conservation through lower densities and encouragement of conservation subdivision design.  The US 23 corridor is to be the commercial base of the township, with access management and architectural guidelines strongly emphasized.  A density of 1 unit per two acres is recommended for most of the township to help maintain rural character, but higher densities are recommended in certain areas if sanitary sewer service were to become available.  (See Troy Township Comprehensive Land Use Plan 2002 map)

203 new homes have been built in the last 21 years, from 1980 to the end of 2000. 

Delaware State Park comprises 1,815 land acres within Troy Township and the Delaware State Wildlife area comprises 4,670 land acres principally within Troy and Marlboro townships.  Access to the park and wildlife area is from US 23, Horseshoe Road, and SR 229.  The lake was created by impoundment of Delaware Lake behind an earthen levy and concrete flood control dam built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers between 1947 and 1951.  The dam is 92 feet high and 3 ½ miles long controlling a drainage area of 286 square miles.

Gallant Farm Preserve is 225 acres of forest, meadows, wetlands, and the ancient, rocky remains of retreating glaciers.  Gallant Farm has hiking and nature interpretation trails, picnic facilities, and a visitor center with displays of farm life in the early days of Delaware County.  The preserve is on the south side of Buttermilk Hill Road, with a smaller portion on the north side of Buttermilk Hill Road, just west of North Section Line Road.